Help with customer suport use case: how to reply to created tickets?

This plugin allows you to report an issue in MantisBT by sending an email to a particular mail account

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

seanm

Help with customer suport use case: how to reply to created tickets?

Post by seanm »

Hi all,

I'm looking to auto generate tickets when our company's customers send email to support@example.com (that much I now have working). But how then do our employees:

1) know that such a ticket was created?
2) reply to the customer?

For 1, I suppose we just rely on Mantis' built-in ability to send email upon ticket creation?

For 2, I thought that adding a note to the ticket would send out an email, but this does not seem to occur. Unless I've configured something wrong.

Any help on how to achieve this use case would be appreciated!

Thanks.
cas

Re: Help with customer suport use case: how to reply to created tickets?

Post by cas »

I have a plugin available that sends out an email to the customer once ticket is created, perhaps that helps for case 2 :mrgreen:
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

MantisBT has a notification system but it might be that you need to set it up correctly
You also need to make sure the reporter of the ticket has a valid and correct email address connected to his account.

The notification system can notify your employees about new tickets. It can also notify your customers about various undertaken actions if so desired.
seanm

Post by seanm »

>You also need to make sure the reporter of the ticket has a valid and correct email address connected to his account.

Who is "the reporter"? Currently, on my email server I have created support@example.com and I have created an account in Mantis for support@example.com. Sending email (from anywhere) to support@example.com successfully creates a ticket. Is support@example.com "the reporter" here? Or are you saying that Mantis accounts are needed for every possible source email? If so, that's impossible for my case, I don't know all my customers' email addresses.

>The notification system can notify your employees about new tickets.

Yes, after tweaking $g_notify_flags appropriately, I can now get Mantis to send emails to employees that should know about a support email from a customer.

>It can also notify your customers about various undertaken actions if so desired.

This is where I'm unclear. If someguy@gmail.com emails support@example.com, my ticket is created, Mantis emails me to say the ticket was created... now what? What's the workflow supposed to be? I had imagined that adding a note to the ticket would email someguy@gmail.com, but it doesn't.
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

Take this ticket: https://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=27854
sintaq is the reporter. Comparable to someguy@gmail.com.
SL-Gundam (me) would be comparable to your employees in this case
support@example.com is only the mailbox where notes and issues are received. support@example.com has no relation to the actual tickets and notes once they are processed into MantisBT

EmailReporting only deals with processing emails into issues or notes. MantisBT is responsible for the notifications. MantisBT can only send notifications to accounts with valid emailaddresses. That means that everybody that sends emails towards support@example.com should also have an account in your MantisBT installation.
There are various ways how this can happen.
1. They create the accounts themselves. Not really reliable in my opinion.
2. You can create the accounts for them. Works only if there are not that many. I understand there are quite a lot and you don't have all the email addresses for the accounts so not really an option either
3. Let EmailReporting create the accounts automatically if needed: http://www.mantisbt.org/wiki/doku.php/m ... uto_signup
Please also have a look at the "Issue reporter configuration options" on the EmailReporting "Manage Configuration Options" page

If the security risk is acceptable then option 3 would be best based on the information you've provided.

As for the notifications to your customers. I suggest you have a look at the following pages in your MantisBT installation:
"Manage" -> "Manage Configuration"
-> "Workflow Thresholds"
-> "Workflow Transitions"
-> "E-mail Notifications"
seanm

Post by seanm »

First, thanks for your fast and detailed replies!

>EmailReporting only deals with processing emails into issues or notes.

Got ya. And for all outgoing emails it relies on MantisBT's existing abilities. I see now.

Your options 1 and 2 are impossible. Option 3 is really far from ideal.

Perhaps EmailReporting is just not suited to my needs. :(
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

It's never possible to have a suitable solution for everybody. You try to get close though

If you could explain how you would like it to work i could tell you how to get it done.
If option 3 is not suitable there is always the option of modifying the code yourself as needed. EmailReporting and MantisBT are open-source which makes this a viable option if you can invest the time needed.